Saturday, April 21

In Which I Talk About Being Homeschooled


564-k
Remember back in March when I went down to Bethel College to audition for the music program and for a potential scholarship? Yeah. So do I. And ever since then I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for a letter telling me about what the outcome was. And then I went on vacation. During which time my letter came. 
*Insert squeals of excitement* 


I opened it yesterday, and just had to tell you all what officially happened. Drumroll puhlease! 


I just received my second, count 'em one and two, scholarship from non-other than Bethel College! Stellar right? All my worrying, and practicing for months has payed off. I now have an academic scholarship and a music scholarship! 


In so many ways this is just freaking me out more about leaving, like it really is gonna happen. But then I'm so excited. I know this is not only where I want to be, but where I need to be. All these years of being told and believing that because I was home schooled I wasn't going to be prepared, and that I was missing out, and it might be hard to get into college has just been proved completely wrong. Being home schooled certainly isn't for everyone, and I will never go out and say it's the only and best way to be schooled because everyone is different, but it is effective and anyone saying anything else simply doesn't know what they're talking about. 


Maybe I won't be able to go to prom in a few weeks (although i personally think it sounds quite fun), and maybe I won't be able to walk with a (tacky and polyestercap and gown on to get my diploma. Sure, I may not have as many high school friends as the average Jane. But, I can tell you I never missed out. I went to a homecoming, bad decision by the way, I have the best lifelong friends anyone could ask for. Heck, I've even dealt with the not-great parts of high school. Like mean girls, and drama that I didn't know I could be a part of when I don't even know the people. 


My high school experience may be different from "normal" people, but I've never claimed, or wanted, to be normal anyways. But guess what? It worked for me. I got into the college I've wanted to attend forever, and I even got a few scholarships. And really, that's what's important right? Doing what is best for you. Getting the education that you personally need. For me it was being home schooled. For you it may be public or private school. 


When it comes down to it, I'm so grateful for how my education turned out. And now I'm excited to start a new chapter in my schooling. I'm nervous, scared, petrified, and so pumped. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Congratulations!! I used to be homeschooled, and so I know for a fact that you are not slacking off at all, you have plenty of friends, and you "have a life." Biggest stereotypes about homeschoolers right there...haha. Anyways, congratulations again! The senior festivities are probably the biggest thing you're missing out on in high school, other than that, really nothing is better than anything you can do at home. :)

    xoxo,
    meme-stylenewbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH! Congratulations! That is awesome, I'm so happy for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homeschooling!
    And congratulations! =)

    ReplyDelete

From the bottom of my heart I thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please, don't hesitate to leave comments or suggestion!